Plagiarism is the most common issue that every academic writer faces while writing their research paper or dissertation. The famous plagiarism checking tool Turnitin is classifying the plagiarisms into 10 common types before generating the report. In this article, we are going to find out the 10 types of plagiarism that every academic writer should know to avoid.
What is Plagiarism?
The practice of the person who has copied the work first copying it again or duplicating it under their own name.
Plagiarism=Replacement (copying & pasting someone else’s work into your own)
10 Example Plagiarism Types
1. “Clone” – Plagiarism
Cloning plagiarism is also called identical copying. In this, one person copies another work (word-for-word) without any change and claim as his own work.
2. “Remix” – Plagiarism
In the remix type of plagiarism, one person collects information from various sources and mix all together as a single document then claim the work as their own work.
3. “Ctrl+C” – Plagiarism
In the written document a significant portion of text copied from any single source without any alteration then it is called Ctrl+C kind of plagiarism.
4. “Hybrid” – Plagiarism
In the hybrid type of plagiarism, Perfectly cited source documents are copied and arranged as a new document without citation.
5. “Find-Replace” – Plagiarism
Changing the most common keywords and phrases in the copied content and not making any changes in the essential document is called “Find and Replace” – kind of plagiarism.
6. “Recycle” – Plagiarism
Recycle is also called self-plagiarism. It refers to the act of borrowing from one’s own previous document without a proper citation.
7. “Mashup” – Plagiarism
When the written document is copied from more than one source and all are mixed together without any proper citation then it is called mashup kind of plagiarism
8. “404 Error” – Plagiarism
“404 Error” – plagiarism is the eighth most important type. In this, a person creates a document by copying from various sources and prepare as a single document with the citation. but if the citation is inaccurate or it will lead to non-existing resources then it will be called 404 types of plagiarism.
9. “Aggregator” – Plagiarism
In this type of plagiarism, the written document includes all the proper citation but it does not contain original work then it is called aggregator plagiarism.
10. “Re-Tweet” – Plagiarism
If all the written document seems perfect with properly cited mark but still the document resembles somewhere the original text’s structure or wordings then it is called Re-Tweet plagiarism.
- Read and understand the original document several times before start explaining about it.
- Do not copy any word or
sentencefrom the original document.
- Give proper citation to all the sources(Books, Journal, Website, Video, and so on).
- In case of citing online sources, Include the accessed date and appropriate URL in the reference.
- Common phrases and definition need to be quoted and cited without any modification.
- Make a practice to include the “references” section whenever write an academic document.
- Cross verify all your citations before submitting your document.
- Finally, take a plagiarism report from any one of the famous plagiarism software to ensure the originality of the written document.
Hope, this will help academic writers to know about the 10 common types of plagiarisms and its severity.
Video: 10 Types of Plagiarism
Watch this video for more detailed information
Follow ilovephd on Pinterest